Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Being Away from Home and Homesick



As a tween, I loved the movie The Parent Trap.  I am talking about the original 1961 film with Haley Mills, Maureen O’Hara and Brian Keith.  What can top the chance meeting of separated identical twins, the plotting and planning, and the adventures at summer camp?  Although the secrecy around their existence is certainly not recommended, I had fun watching it.  As a tween, I admired their boldness and I envied how much fun they had at camp.  As someone who experienced homesickness, it was great to see girls my age who verbalized what they wanted, had fun together and truly engaged in adventure. 


For many kids, being away from home may mean homesickness.  We have suggestions and resources for you here.  There are ways for children to move through their homesickness and enjoy themselves, feel highly capable and build their self-confidence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment